Wednesday, October 31, 2007
All of us here at Barbie Martini would like to wish you a safe and happy Halloween!!! Dress-up, eat candy, and party the night away!
If you have a costume, pumpkin carving, candy collection, or ANYTHING Halloween related that you'd like to share with us, please email it to us and maybe we'll feature it on our site!
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Hot Guy of the Week
It's Britney !@#$es!
I'll be completely honest and say I was totally disgusted by the VMA performance of "Gimme More", but then I heard it on the radio... and it grew on me. Today on the way to work a radio station played another track of her album called "Radar" and it wasn't half bad. Mind you it wasn't great but it's not horrible.
All the blogs have read reviews on the album and they say that it isn't going to be as horrible as the public is expecting it to me. I just might end up downloading a track or two. It's still very Britney... just more techno.
Are any of you going to give this a chance or just let it pass by?
Monday, October 29, 2007
JT Is Shy
The Tini Lounge
Sunday, October 28, 2007
Baby Bump Showdown
Checkout these two famous gals makin the baby bump look good. So here's my question - Do you think these girls look as good as they feel or are they putting on a big fat front?
A Thirsty Illusion
These modern glasses combine inventive design with pure personality! Each wine goblet fills entirely with liquid and seems to float within the surrounding glass, which remains empty. These glasses will fool you even when your sober!
You can purchase your own set of four glasses here.
Friday, October 26, 2007
Jason Wahler (from MTV shows Laguna Beach and The Hills) reported to jail in Washington yesterday to serve his 30 sentence. The 20-year-old was arrested for assault in April. Let's see how long he actually serves. Since he is serving in Washington I'm thinking he'll be in there a bit longer than celebs in California...but who knows!
If you enjoy seafood as much as I do, your tastebuds will be thanking me for this recipe!
Spooky Spiced Shrimp:
Makes 4 dozen
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 piece (2 inches) fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 large garlic clove, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 2 teaspoons tandoori-masala seasoning
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons corn or vegetable oil
- 48 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left intact
- Black sesame seeds, for garnish
- Whisk together all ingredients except shrimp and sesame seeds in a large nonreactive bowl. Add shrimp; stir to coat. Cover; refrigerate, and let marinate, tossing shrimp occasionally, 2 to 3 hours.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Cook shrimp in batches (do not crowd skillet), turning once, until pink and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining shrimp. Discard marinade. Sprinkle shrimp with sesame seeds.
Nip/Tuck Season 4 Recap
Well... here's something more interesting. An article with one of the writers Ryan Murphy. He talks about how he came up with the phrase, "Tell me what you don't like about yourself."
I read this article about Men getting calf implants — like it was all the rage. I thought it was fascinating and ridiculous at the same time. I talked to my editor and he agreed that I’d go undercover to a plastic surgeon and write the article. I found a gullible and sweet plastic surgeon. In the consult he told me ten other things that I needed to have done. He’d say things like ‘Beauty is symmetry’ and that I was a ‘moderately attractive person but my ears were half a centimeter off.’ I was so stunned, but at the same time I was thinking he was right. I didn’t write the story but I never forget the experience. ‘Tell Me What You Don’t Like About Yourself’ came from that meeting.
He talks of about the character development process:
- I turned on an HBO movie and saw Dylan Walsh — he was so miserable in it, I wrote the character of Sean for him.
- Julian’s part was originally for a Latin male. But Julian came into the room and I thought, well that is very interesting. Julian was so fantastic, he had to come back six times for the network, but I loved him.
- Kelly was very interesting. She was a model who just started to act. Her role in the pilot wasn’t very big, but I was so moved by her when I directed the pilot, I just kept writing and writing for her and she became a series regular.
- Joely was a very difficult part. A lot of big names in Hollywood wanted to do it, but they wouldn’t do nudity. We got a call from Joely Richardson’s manager saying Joely couldn’t stop thinking about the script. We met with her and the rest is history.
Thursday, October 25, 2007
Wisdom is Golden
Scarlett Johansson met Ryan Reynolds parents right around the birthday so things must be getting serious for these two. For his birthday she threw an early bash at Chateau Marmont and as a present gave him her wisdom teeth, dipped in gold, to wear as a necklace.
What the heck do you say to that?? What is up with these stars and giving wacky presents?
Calling All Artists!
ATTENTION ALL ARTISTS!!! A friend of mine (Olivia Williams) is sponsoring a fundraiser to raise money for the California Wildfire Victims. She is looking for artists to donate art to sell.
The art will be in a special folder on her website and how much it is going for. All the proceeds will go to the California wildfire fund. At the end of a few months, she hopes to raise a decent amount of money. If you are not an artist, you can still help get the word out so that when all the work is up people will buy.
Pre-exsisting work is preferred, but if you really want to make new or separate work let her know when it would be ready to upload, as the works may be uploaded a little bit at a time, as artists join later or whatnot.
You can send high rez images with your name, a very short statement of you or your work, and how much to sell it for to: firstname.lastname@example.org
As soon as all the work is up on the site, she is going to start a log with www.pledgepage.org to help spread the word. In addition, Olivia will be recruiting a street team to hand out flyers. If you want to get involved please e-mail her at email@example.com and put the header as "Art for Fire". You don't even have to live in NYC...people in other places to help promote this idea are more than welcome.
Just looking at these treats gives me the willies! Oh how I hate spiders!!! But these would make a fun snack for your Halloween party.
1 1/2 cups toasted pecans
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, in pieces
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 ounces thin black licorice strands, cut into 2-inch pieces
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
4 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
Chocolate curls or jimmies, optional
Line 2 baking sheets with waxed paper and lightly spray with nonstick spray. Mound 30 small clusters of pecans! About 3 or 4 pecans each, spaced a couple inches apart on the pan.
Make caramel: Warm the cream over low heat and keep warm while you cook the sugar.
Put the sugar and corn syrup and in a deep, heavy-bottomed large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves. Stop stirring, raise heat to medium-high, and simmer until the sugar reaches the hard crack stage, or 305 degrees F on a candy thermometer, about 7 minutes.
Whisk the butter and salt into the sugar mixture. Gradually pour in the cream and vanilla taking care since the mixture will bubble up. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar reaches soft ball stage, 240 degrees F on the thermometer, about 5 minutes more. Immediately remove from the heat and cool for a minute.
Ladle a couple tablespoons of warm caramel over some of the nut clusters, to make the spider bodies. Then press 6 pieces of licorice into the warm caramel to make the legs. Repeat with the remaining caramel and licorice. (It's helpful to have an extra hand here, since the caramel can set quickly. If caramel hardens, warm over very low heat. ) Let spiders cool 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, put the chocolates in a medium heatproof bowl. Bring a saucepan filled with 1-inch or so of water to a very slow simmer; set the bowl over, but not touching, the water. Stir the chocolate occasionally until melted and smooth. (Alternatively, put the chocolate in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Melt at 50 percent power in the microwave until soft, about 1 minute. Stir, and continue heat until completely melted, 2 to 3 minutes more.)
Spoon about 1 tablespoon of melted chocolate on top of each spider. Sprinkle with jimmies or chocolate curls, if desired. Let cool until firm.
Hot Guy of the Week Nominees
~born on November 12, 1980
~has no formal acting training
~has an older sister named Mandi
~born on June 5, 1967
~his mother is a Lutheran minister and his father is an aerospace engineer
~he attended Yale University
~born on June 28, 1966
~was once roommates with Jeremy Piven
~Chicago Cubs fan
~born on May 8, 1975
~born in Madrid, Spain
~favorite food is sushi
Place your vote! Remember to come back and vote once a day until we name our winner (which will probably be later this weekend). May the hottest guy win!!!
Labels: hot guy of the week
Oh the drama that went down last night on ANTM! What do you guys think about Ebony telling Tyra she didn't want to be there??? All the models were shocked that she threw her chance away...but in my opinion she should have gone away a while ago. That attitude...just terrible.
Last night's photoshoot was interesting (the girls posed as a recyclable material), and I feel as though some of the pictures chosen for panel were simply stunning!
My favorite pics last night were: Chantal, Heather, Jenah, and Saleisha.
To see all of the pictures from last night click here.
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
The Haunted Hills
Do you have a sweet tooth? I suggest you give these Rocky Road Caramel Apples a try! Full of sweetness and gooey goodness you'll be sure to love them!
- 6 Granny Smith apples
- 6 wooden sticks
- 1 (14 ounce) package individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Insert wooden sticks 3/4 of the way into the stem end of each apple. Place apples on a cookie sheet covered with lightly greased aluminum foil.
- Combine caramels and water in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring often, until caramel melts and is smooth. Stir in the vanilla. Dip each apple into the caramel and gently run apples around insides of saucepan to scrape off some of the caramel. Scrape excess caramel from the apple bottoms using the side of the saucepan.
- Combine the miniature marshmallows and pecans on a dinner plate. Roll the apples in the mixture to coat. Place on the aluminum foil and chill.
- Put the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook in the microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring between each, until melted and smooth. Drizzle over the apples and return them to the refrigerator until ready to serve.
*Deal of the Day*
Anyone that knows me knows that I just LOVE pink (especially HOT PINK!...you should see the tights I'm wearing today). I came across this adorable Houndstooth Headband from Delia's. It's cute and classy, but the hot pink definitely adds some spunk! Get one now for only $3.99 (originally $9.50).
London Fashion Rocks
Movie Flashback: Teen Witch
Here are some fun up-to-date facts on one of my favorite "ugly duckling" movies:
- Robyn Lively used to be on Aaron Spelling's drama Savannah, where she played alongside George Eads, who is now on CSI.
- Married to Bart Jackson, who played Zac Efron's father in High School Musical.
- Played Jessica Andrews, Danie's girlfriend in Karate Kid 3.
- Still has projects under name which you can check out on imdb here.
- Dan Gauthier has made appearances on Melrose Place, Beverly Hills, 90210, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Friends (guest starred as Rachel's high school prom date, Chip), Charmed, Ellen, Sisters, Will & Grace, Still Standing and Supernatural.
- In June of 2003 he went on One Life to Live only to be relieved from his contract in 2006.
- Funniest part is he married his co-star Lisa Fuller who played Randa, his high school girlfriend, before he went onto Louise.
Other random factoids:
- Joshua Miller (Louise's younger brother) attended Yale and Antioch Universities and studied creative writing at UCLA. In December of 2003 he completed his MFA in creative writing at the University of Iowa. He has written articles for Harper's Bazaar and Playboy.
- Tom Hank's wife Rita Wilson was a dancer in the movie. (LOL!)
- Teen Witch was made into a musical in the summer of 2007.
- Noah Blake (Rhett, the "Top That" rapping guy) is the son of actor (and murderer?) Robert Blake.
- Amanda Ingber who played Louise's best friend, Polly went onto be a yoga instructor for some of Hollywood's biggest stars like Jennifer Aniston and Ricki Lake.
Tuesday, October 23, 2007
Through most of the country fall is taking it's good old time arriving this year. Have no fear, it looks as though the cooler temps are about to arrive...and stay for the season. On those crisp autumn days a nice hot bowl of soup goes a long way. Check out our recipe for: Butternut Squash Soup.
- 6 tablespoons chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 3 cups water
- 4 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in margarine until tender. Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil; cook 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan, and heat through. Do not allow to boil.
Cutest Couple EVER!
Speaking of having a great time, did anyone catch last night's episode??? I only caught the last 5 minutes of the show but I don't think I missed out much. I'm assuming the beginning was a bunch of teasers with Brody and Lauren. How cute was Brody with that smile when he gets off the phone with Lauren. I seriously hope they end up together. I wonder what they're afraid of...?
Something's happening with the server and it won't let me post the pictures. We all know what Whitney looks like, but if you want to see Ben Lyon's click here. Sorry guys. I'll try to post the pics later for a "proper" post.
Monday, October 22, 2007
Words Of Wisdom
"I think Victoria just feels like she has some broke friends and wants to help them out. I take my hat off to her, but I'm not looking forward to the shows."
-SHAGGY on the Spice Girls Reunion Tour
The Tini Lounge
- 2 parts Starbucks Cream Liqueur
- 3/4 parts Absolut Vanilla Vodka
- 2 parts Starbucks coffee, chilled
Combine all ingredients in a martini shaker filed with ice. Shake well then strain into a martini glass and enjoy!
All Grown Up
Wow! Has anyone else been noticing how grown up, sophisticated and good looking the Duffster has gotten lately? Rock on Hilary, there is no way your ex-Madden can't be noticing this!
Saturday, October 20, 2007
CONGRATS TO ROCKET!!!
So did everyone watch the premiere of Fox's The Next Great American Band last night? As I mentioned a few days ago, Rocket performed last night...and they ROCKED IT! Make sure you watch them in upcoming episodes and VOTE for them!!! We love Rocket!!!
Check out Rocket's Myspace site, website, and Barbie Martini's interview with them.
Friday, October 19, 2007
Anyway... I don't know if it's so much the shape of the dress or the fabric used to make the dress. Ew for both I guess.