Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Support This Site

Friday, March 28, 2008

Barbie Martini's Boombox


I'm very excited to be bringing such an up and coming artist to our boombox this week. I'm sure some of you have heard of Alissa Moreno...and if you haven't you obviously need to start paying attention. She has had a number of her songs appear on MTV reality shows (even our favorite, The Hills), co-written and sang the theme song of ABC's Hope & Faith (second season), and even had her music appear on one of my other favorite television shows, How I Met Your Mother. Alissa has even worked with everyone from Rascal Flatts to Ben Affleck. She is truely a huge talent!


Barbie Martini: Describe your sound...
Alissa Moreno: Piano Driven Alt. Pop. I was madly in love with The Cure, The Smiths, The Pixies, Violent Femmes, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, and the Sugar Cubes growing up, and although my later influences (Tori Amos, Alanis Morissette, Sheryl Crow, U2) are more evident, I think these early bands have a strong and underlying identity in my music.

BM: Your music has been featured on MTV reality shows including Laguna Beach, Newport Harbor, and The Hills. Are you a huge fan of MTV reality shows?
AM: Should I answer this? Yikes. Not really. But they have an important role in my life because they expose the songs in new light. When I was growing up I had a continuous soundtrack running through my head. Every song I listened to in my walkman (while riding around in the back of our neon green VW bus) came with visuals, stories, pictures in my head; this is really no different than what's going on with music and reality t.v. today. I'm thrilled to be a part of THAT.

BM: If you could make an album with any musician (living or dead) who would it be and why?
AM: Today I'm going to have to pick early 90's Trent Reznor. I'm in that kind of mood. Those hooks paired with incredible melodies, insane production, loops and sounds I'd hardly heard, and the willingness to go (lyrically and sonically) to the deepest, darkest, weirdest most vulnerable places...... That would be so fun.

BM: We've read that you were Ben Affleck's vocal coach on the set of the 2006 movie Hollywoodland. What was it like working with him?
AM: Absolutely fantastic! I love that guy. He is brilliant, funny, kind, generous, gifted, and highly entertaining. He is a quick study and I loved watching him work. I was so proud to be a part of that film. I wanted to be in the film hanging out in some old Hollywood bar but the director said I was "too thin in the face." I've never heard that before and love him for it to this day ha ha!

BM: What is your favorite kind of martini?
AM: The magical non-alcoholic kind because I'm sober now.

BM: Cats or dogs?
AM: Dogs. And I want a big cuddly one to live by the sea and swim and play fetch with me.


To read the entire interview please check out our MySpace website. Also, make sure you check out Alissa's website and her MySpace page.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home